The South African Node of the Millennium Project which is part of a global futures think-tank, together with the Institute for Futures Research, bring you this International Futures Conference which offers delegates a powerful three-day learning experience to obtain the latest thinking on and insight into futures issues. The central focus of the Conference is the creation and use of ‘future intelligence capacity’ to promote the goals of a successful knowledge society. With leading international and African speakers, groundbreaking new content and ample time for networking, this is an investment in your future.
The conference will be held at Stellenbosch University's Faculty of Theology.
Surrounded by impressive mountain ranges and famous vineyards, and being less than one hour's drive from Cape Town, the historic town of Stellenbosch is the seat of one of the most beautiful residential universities in South Africa.
Why should you attend?
- An international event: Scholars and practitioners from Africa, Australia, Latin America, the USA and Europe will attend, creating a unique three-day learning experience at Stellenbosch University.
- Top speakers: Leading global and practical futurists like Jerome C Glenn, director of the Millennium Project, and Jerome Binde, head of Foresight at Unesco, will be speaking at the conference. The doyens of futures work in South Africa, Clem Sunter and Prof Philip Spies, will attend the conference and will also be honoured for their contribution to futures work in South Africa.
- African angle: Some of Africa’s foremost scholars will discuss the use of foresight to improve conditions on this continent; and the global implications of success and failure.
- Global Challenges: Issues of governance, societal conflict, the environment, and inequality will be tackled head on to give you a better understanding of key dynamics impacting upon society.
- Sponsored conference: Generous financial support from sponsors will enable delegates to attend at a fraction of a full-cost conference.
- Case studies: Practical case studies will be presented on how futures capacity can be used to deal with the global challenges facing business, policy-makers and concerned citizens.
- The role of scenarios in SA's transition: A world-first research project on the role scenarios played in the political-economic transition of South Africa will be released and discussed. For this South African Node of the Millennium Project initiative, Prof Nick Segal interviewed some 70 critical decision-makers and scenario participants to bring together the unique inside story of how three renowned scenario initiatives helped South Africa to shape the future. Delegates will receive a copy of the resultant book.
- Launch of State of the Future Index: An initiative to undertake the first State of the Future Index (SOFI) for South Africa will be launched at the conference. Find out how this has been used in Latin America and Asia, and how you can benefit from it in South Africa or in your own country.
Who should attend?
Experts, academics, researchers, policy-makers, decision-makers, practitioners and business people who are interested in futures research in the public and private domains.
This event is made possible thanks to generous support from the South African government (through the Department of Science and Technology), the Finnish Embassy in Pretoria, the Oppenheimer Memorial Trust, the Anglo American Chairman’s Fund and British American Tobacco South Africa.
Registration and more information
- Stellenbosch University
- Tel: +27 21 918 4153
- Fax: +27 21 918 4146
An early bird special price is applicable for registration before the end of September
Click here for Conference Programme